Sunshine Blogger Award
I’m excited and honoured to share that I’ve been nominated for a Sunshine Blogger Award! I was nominated by Pragmatic Poe, who has a fantastic lifestyle blog filled with articles about relationships, parenting, self-care, and more. Check out her post on 5 Woefully Lacking Claims About Motherhood.
The Sunshine Blogger Award recognizes bloggers who are positive, creative, and inspiring. It’s a great way to connect with fellow bloggers, and gives me a chance to introduce you to some wonderful blogs.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in your blog post and link back to her/his blog.
- Answer the 11 questions that the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new bloggers to receive the award and ask them 11 questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger award logo in your post on your blog.
1. What motivated you to start blogging?
I’ve been reading blogs since blogs were a thing, and have always wanted to start my own. One day, I took advantage of my kids’ nap time and just started writing. I wrote and wrote and wrote before I actually got up the courage to create my blog. It’s a great creative outlet for me, I love learning about something new, and I love that I can do it on my own schedule.
2. You are the lucky master of a genie and you get 3 wishes. What are they? (No extra wishes or genies allowed, you cheater).
- Continued good health for all of my loved ones. That might seem like a waste of a wish because I’m wishing for something NOT to happen, but there’s absolutely nothing more important.
- More time. Imagine if you could pause time right after the kids went to bed, get everything done that you need to, have a chance to relax and unwind, and STILL get a great nights sleep? That would be a dream! Or being able to freeze time at a particular stage, so that you actually could soak up everything that’s wonderful about it.
- More money. Not because I want a significant change of lifestyle, but for the freedom it would give us. Freedom to travel, freedom in our careers, and moving to a bigger house with bedrooms for all of our kids wouldn’t hurt either!
3. If you could travel to any period of time in the past, when would it be and why?
I would love to take a visit to the 1950s. This may have something to do with the fact that I’ve been binge-watching Call the Midwife lately! In the 1950s, my grandmas were in the same life stage I’m in now, so I’d love to stop by for a visit and find out what life was really like for them back then.
4. If there was one thing you could change from your past, what would it be?
I have always worried too much about what other people think. I still do. It’s something I’m actively working on, but I’d like to go back to my teens and twenties and tell past-me to forget about what other people think, and focus on staying true to myself.
5. What is you biggest struggle right now?
Feeling stretched to my limit. I’ve written about this recently. This is a wonderful stage of life, but it’s also really, really hard, and we’ve been spending a lot of time in survival mode lately. Work stress + parenting worries + feeling the financial pinch of three in childcare + not enough time to go around = a stressed Mom and Dad.
6. What inspires you to be better?
My kids, no question.
7. Pepsi or Coke? I have to know if we can really be friends or not.
I suspect this will be friends off, but I’m fine with either. That horrifies my husband (he’s the guy who jokingly tells servers that Pepsi isn’t ok), but he’s managed to look past it.
8. When was the last time you cried?
Last week. My daughter was still sleeping when it was time for me to leave for work, so instead of waking her up to nurse I left without seeing her. I did it because we’ve had some rough goodbyes when she sees me for only a few minutes in the morning before I rush out the door. It was one of those mornings that had me questioning whether I was making the right choice – that day or in general. I like working and I enjoy my job, but I hate the feeling of being robbed of time with my kids.
9. Of these options, which animal do you most identify with: eagle, lion, turtle, chameleon? Why?
Lion. Don’t the females do most of the hunting AND care for the cubs? Sounds about right! 🙂
10. What current trend do you think should die already?
Is it a bad thing that I’m struggling to think of a current trend? (#momlife) Oh, I know – off-the-shoulder tops. I’m not wearing a strapless bra unless I absolutely have to.
11. What would you do if you were given 1 million dollars?
Pay off our last student loan, catch up on retirement, fully fund my kids’ education funds, buy my husband a new car, and move to a new house. Boring, I know! That would eat up most of it, but I’d put some away for a big trip with my kids (we’d love to do a big trip to Australia in the next few years).
I’m breaking the rules here, and nominating 5 bloggers for the Sunshine Blogger Award instead of 11. These 5 bloggers have been a great source of inspiration, positivity, and support for me, so I wanted to give them a little extra shout out.
To my nominees – I know some of you have been nominated previously, and some of you may choose not to participate. Please don’t feel you need to answer the questions (although I’d love to read it if you do!), just know how much I appreciate you and enjoy reading your blogs.
- Saving Joyfully. Andrea is one of the most supportive and positive bloggers that I’ve “met” through blogging. She blogs about saving money and living a joyful life. I loved her post on choosing a positive outlook.
- Pingel Sisters. Rachael and Jaclyn are two sisters who blog about life, work, travel, and reading. They’re both moms, but their blog isn’t your typical mom blog. I love to stop by for their reading posts – their book recommendations are wonderful. Check out their list of Books That Will Make You Cry.
- The Mom at Law. I can’t remember how I found Candace, but I suspect it was the name of her blog that drew me in. She writes articles that will have you nodding in agreement, posts that will make you cry, and also finds the time to come up with hilarious memes. She puts into words feelings that I struggle to express – case in point, her article on mom guilt.
- Simple Measures at Home. Clare blogs about simple ways to save time and money. I love her approach to simplifying things – her blog makes me feel instantly calm when I stop by. She has a great “Five Frugal Things” series, and I loved her post on Why Blogging is Good for My Brain.
- Binkies, Bottles & Babies. Morgan is another blogger that I “met” through Twitter. On her blog she shares her journey as new mom, and has put together some awesome resources for first time moms. I loved her post on finding happiness as a stay at home mom.
Questions for my Nominees
- Why did you start blogging?
- What’s your favourite blog post to date?
- What do you dislike about blogging?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- Do you prefer winter or summer?
- What is one accomplishment in your life that you’re particularly proud of?
- What’s your favourite movie?
- Who is the biggest inspiration in your life?
- Are you a Type A or Type B personality?
- What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?
Thank you again to Pragmatic Poe for the nomination, and thank you to each of my nominees for creating your wonderful blogs!