I’m excited to share that I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award! Since most of you probably have no idea what I’m talking about, I’ll explain. The Liebster Award is a peer recognition award – it’s a chance for bloggers to recognize fellow bloggers that they enjoy and give them a virtual pat on the back. It’s also a way for you – the reader – to get to know me better, and a way for all of us to find some other great blogs.
I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Megan of Misadventures with Megan. I first came across Megan’s blog through a blogger Facebook group. She has a hilariously accurate take on making mom friends, and an admirable willingness to take her kids on all sort of adventures.
- Acknowledge the blog that gave you the award – send them love!
- Answer 11 Questions that the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 blogs and notify them that you dig them
- Give them 11 Questions to answer
Now, I completely acknowledge that the concept is a little reminiscent of a chain letter. However, I think it serves an important purpose, which is spreading positivity and recognizing people who deserve to be recognized. There are some wonderful blogs out there (scroll down for 11 of them!), and as a blogger it’s a great feeling to know that somebody is reading and appreciating your writing after all the time you spend creating and building a blog.
Here’s My Q&A:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I’ve been reading blogs since blogs were a thing, and have always wanted to start my own. One day, I took advantage of my kids’ nap time and just started writing. I wrote and wrote and wrote before I actually got up the courage to create my blog. It’s a great creative outlet for me, I love learning about something new, and I love that I can do it on my own schedule.
2. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning?
Nothing! My husband and I often trade off getting up with the kids on weekend mornings, so the Saturdays I get to sleep in are my favourite!
3. Coffee or Tea?
Coffee. I wasn’t a huge coffee drinker before I had my third baby, but now the thought of that first coffee is what gets me out of bed in the morning (well, that and the three kids that need me!).
4. What are your big blogging goals?
To build a community of like-minded women who want to support and encourage each other through the highs and lows of motherhood. I don’t pretend to have all the answers, but I’d like to be a resource that people can turn to and see that somebody else has struggled through the same things. Parenting can be so isolating – I want to help build that village that many of us are missing.
5. What’s your favorite way to spend time outside?
With my kids at the beach, in the water, riding bikes – is it spring yet??
6. What inspires your blog posts?
My family, definitely. My posts generally address a pain point – something that we’ve either struggled with or learned over our years of parenting – or are a reflection on something parenting-related.
7. Dogs or Cats?
8. What is the most challenging thing about blogging?
There is a lot more to it than most people are aware of. I certainly had no idea about all the work that goes on behind the scenes before I launched my blog. For me, the most challenging thing has been setting limits on when I can do blog-related work. I’m still working on drawing that clear distinction between blog time and family time, but it’s really important to me that I draw that line.
9. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
Hands down, connecting with people. I very nervously shared my blog on my personal Facebook about a month after I created it, and was overwhelmed by the messages of support and encouragement that I received. I also love receiving messages and feedback from people who have stumbled upon my blog. It’s encouraging to know that what you’re “saying” resonates with people.
10. What’s your favorite vacation destination?
Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
11. Do you love or hate road trips?
Pre-kids I loved them. Now they’re a means to an end – something that we have to survive to get to our destination! I’m hopeful that will improve over the next few years as our kids get older.
11 Random Facts About Myself:
- I’m the oldest of four children and the only girl.
- I have a sweet tooth that rivals that of a small child.
- When I was 13 I spent 8 months travelling with my family through Australia and New Zealand. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I would love to do the same with our family – I just need to get my husband on board!
- I occasionally still get ID’d and get way too excited about it.
- When I was a kid I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast.
- I was in a walking cast at my call (to the bar) ceremony because I was recovering from a broken ankle…that I broke doing a full twist on the trampoline.
- I love cleaning, especially deep cleaning.
- I sleep with way too many pillows, after getting used to sleeping in a pillow nest during all three of my pregnancies.
- My husband fell in love with me over a limbo competition.
- I’m the world’s biggest wimp when it comes to scary movies, and can’t even handle the trailers.
- I can’t remember lines from movies to save my life, but can sing along with 90’s pop music with the best of them.
- Children Too
- Crafty Teacher Mama
- Ma of All Trades
- Minnesota Momma
- Mommy Baby Life
- My Little Home School
- My Side of the Rainbow
- The OptiMom Blog
- The Parent Express
- The Peachee Pear
- Wide Open World
Questions for my Nominees:
- What made you decide to start a blog?
- What is your favourite thing about blogging?
- What is the most difficult part of blogging?
- If you could go back in time, what advice would you give to your younger self?
- What is your favourite thing to do on the weekend?
- What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a blog?
- If you could re-live one week of your life, what would it be?
- What is something that you’re afraid of?
- What is your favourite blog post you’ve written so far?
- What is your top travel destination?
- Are you a night owl or early bird?
This was fun! Thanks for indulging a departure from my regular posts.